Sunday, January 27, 2013

100 days of Pinterest day #1: Hand-painted wine glasses

Hello lovies,

Today is officially the kick-off of 100 Days of Pinterest and to be honest, I'm already questioning whether I've already bit off more than I can chew! Crafting is a LOT of work, fun albeit, but time consuming (although I'm sure we couldn't even count the hours we've spend mindlessly "pinning" away). 

Moving on, I'm excited to share my Pin of the day: Pained glass wear. Below is a picture of my "Pinspiration". I believe it's a pretty popular pin, so I'm sure many of you are familiar with it. I thought these were so cute, so I thought I'd give it a go, adding a little bit of a twist and a little Valentine's flare.

Copying Anthro! So glad there is a DIY now!-I also read this from another pinner doing this to tumblers:Use acrylic paint & the back end of a paint brush for the dots. Then put into a cold oven & preheat to 350 - let sit for 30 minutes. Turn off oven & let cool with the glasses still inside. Voila! Hand-painted works of art you can drink from. 
Original source HERE

My version:


How I did it:

1) Start off by choosing your paint and colours. I went with different shades of red/pink for Valentine's day by simply starting with red and adding increasing amounts of white, or black to go deeper. I used acrylic paint (I got mine from the dollar store for only $1!).

 2) Practice makes perfect! Before you start going balls to the wall with your glasses, take a few minutes to practice your pattern or drawing. I wanted to go with simple dots made with a small wooden dowel, so I practiced a few times on a clean paper plate.

 3) Start painting away! Let your creativity flow and have some fun with it. If you make a mistake, it's helpful to have a damp paper towel to quickly wipe off anything. The one suggestion I would make is that if your design has multiple layers, I would suggest letting your first coat dry before painting over it.

 4) Heat it up, baby! After your happy with your design and the paint is 100 per cent dry, place your glasses on a foil-lined sheet. Place the glasses into a COLD oven and while they are inside turn the oven onto 350 Degrees. Set your timer for 20 minutes then shut off the oven, keeping the glasses inside for another 10-15 minutes while the oven cools down. After your glasses have cooled completely, give them a gentle hand wash.
5) Pour yourself a glass of vino (or two) and admire what an artist you are! These glasses are dead simple to make and would also make a lovely and personal gift.


Let me know what you think of my creation in the comments. What kind of design would you like to create?

Also, if you have any requests for my 100 days of Pinterest series, I'd love to hear it!

XOXO,
Jess

1 comment:

  1. 100 days? You go girl! I'm in love with those glasses, you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...